At the Tour & Taxis site in Brussels, the former Gare Maritime freight station will be transformed into a lively new district with squares, courtyards, a food hall and ten new built-in volumes. The Gare Maritime head-end, built between 1902 and 1907, was at the time the main railway junction of the port of Brussels. The impressive building with a surface area of almost 40,000m² creates space for various urban activities such as shops, offices, exhibition spaces, markets and festivities.
Under the supervision of Neutelings Riedijk Architects, responsible for the architecture of the new buildings, OMGEVING was responsible for the design of the covered outdoor space and the site monitoring in cooperation with Bureau Bouwtechniek. The eye-catcher of the Gare Maritime is the central open hall, constructed in reused cobblestones, where various temporary activities can take place. The central hall is flanked by ten inner gardens, each with a thematical interpretation.